EIOPA is an independent advisory body to the European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union. We are one of the EU agencies carrying out specific legal, technical or scientific tasks and giving evidence-based advice. In this way, we help shape informed policies and laws at EU and national levels. EIOPA is one of three European Supervisory Authorities. The other two are the European Banking Authority (EBA) and the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA).
Our mission is to protect the public interest. We do this by helping ensure the short-, medium- and long-term stability and effectiveness of the financial system for the EU’s economy, businesses and people.
We achieve our mission by promoting a sound regulatory framework for and consistent supervision of insurance and occupational pensions sectors in Europe. This protects the rights of policyholders, pension scheme members and beneficiaries. It also creates public confidence in the EU’s insurance and occupational pensions sectors.
Our main goals are:
- To improve consumer protection and rebuild trust in the financial system
- To ensure strong, effective and consistent regulation and supervision, taking account of the interests of all member states and the different nature of financial institutions
- To bring about more harmonised and consistent application of the rules for financial institutions and markets across the EU
- To strengthen the oversight of cross-border groups
- To promote coordinated supervisory responses from the EU